Nuclear engineering encompasses all areas of the research, development, and application of nuclear energy. Nuclear energy is a prime source of energy in the world, and its wise utilization will produce many benefits. Unlike fossil fuels, nuclear power does not contribute to acid rain or greenhouse gases that produce global warming. The application of nuclear energy requires engineers with a broad educational background that covers specialized areas such as nuclear physics and radiation science as well as general areas of engineering useful in any energy field.
Nuclear engineers are involved in the design, construction, and operation of nuclear power plants for power generation, propulsion of nuclear submarines, and space power systems. Nuclear engineers are also involved in the handling of nuclear fuels, the safe disposal of radioactive wastes, and in medical uses of radioactive isotopes. Major thrust area of work is researching in nuclear energy and radiation. Specialization: It offers specialization in nuclear weapons, developing radioactive material for industrial and medical use etc.
Eligibility & Admission Process :
- B.E/B.Tech with 60% marks or equivalent CGPA
- Some of the very reputed universities and institutes conduct entrance examination to get admission to the degree course
Syllabus and Course Description
- Nuclear physicsQuantum mechanicsNuclear radiation measurements
- Numerical methods-computer programming simulationsComputer programming simulation lab
- Nuclear reactor theory IPlasma physicsNuclear engineering materialsFluid dynamicsInteraction of radiationNuclear measurement lab seminar
- Nuclear reactor theory IIFast breeder reactor
- Nuclear waste management
- Neutron transport theory
- Nuclear power engineering nuclear measurement lab II
- Project I
- Nuclear power engineering II
- Nuclear fusion II
- Project II
Top Colleges for M.Tech in Nuclear Engineering
- Shivaji University
- MPKV M.Sc, M.Tech and MBA
- Goa University M.Tech
- NIFTEM Sonepat M.Tech
- ISI Kolkata
- Rajiv Gandhi Proudyogiki Vishwavidyalaya (RGPV)
M.Tech. in Nuclear Engineering: Career Prospects
The country’s Atomic Energy and Defence Sectors, Nuclear Medicine and Research and more particularly the popular recruiters of postgraduates in the discipline of civil nuclear energy.
Nuclear Engineers work in laboratories, nuclear fusions, nuclear plants, universities, colleges and government agencies, for purposes of military research, nuclear research, and development of proper waste disposal methods and study of the effects of radiation on the environment and living things.
In the medical sector, nuclear engineers are engaged in scientific research for medical diagnoses and treatment techniques using radiation. Nuclear Engineers also find employment as lectures and professors and actively contribute to nuclear researches. Others prefer to work in on-site engineering or construction projects.
They also work as scientists involved in developing equipment that generates nuclear power, or as Consultants in projects that involve nuclear energy, or may even settle on management or administration as career options.