Construction Technology and Management
Construction Technology is an important application of science, which plays a major role in the social and economic development of modern society. In order to perform this role effectively, construction engineers require a broad understanding of scientific principles, knowledge of materials, applied knowledge of civil engineering and the capacity to analyze and synthesize in order to arrive at solutions. This requires research, teamwork, and leadership and business skills. And it has to be situated in a social, economic and environmental context that reflects the reality within which the construction engineer finds him/herself.
In Ethiopia, Construction Technology and Management has a great role to play in supporting economic development and contribute towards the improvement of the construction industry. This role and contribution input is at different geospatial scales, from the Federal to the local, in both an urban and a rural context. As a country that is moving into a rapid phase of growth, the contribution that construction management can make to ensure that this growth is sustainable is a particularly important one. It is therefore of vital importance that construction Managers are prepared, professionally, to met this growth challenge and contribute to sustainable development.
- Management of Quality and Safety in Construction
- Project Planning and Control
- Construction Engineering Practices
- Maintenance Planning & Control
- Power System Protection
- Quantitative Methods in Construction Management
- Construction Methods and Equipment
- Construction & Contract Management
- Computational Laboratory for Construction Management
- Construction Economics & Finance
- Systems Design and Value Analysis
- Recent Advances in Construction Materials
- Civil Engineering Materials
- Functional Planning, Building Services and Maintenance Management
- Building Science
- Construction Methods in Geotechnical Engineering
- Independent Study
Eligibility & Admission Process:
Admission process for M.Tech in Construction Technology and Management may vary with the institution. Those who have completed their bachelor of engineering/technology degree in civil engineering from any of the recognized institutions are eligible to apply. In case of IIT’s admissions are offered on the basis of score in the GATE exam. This course is offered as an integrated programme in Vellore Institute of Technology. Here admission is offered on the basis of VIT Master’s Entrance Examination (VITMEE) conducted by the institute itself.
Those with necessary qualifications can forward their application through the official website of the concerned institution. Application forms can be obtained from the official web portal. This must be filled up correctly and sent to the right address before last date. From the pool of applications, candidates are shortlisted on the basis of entrance score. Final selection is made on the basis of interview conducted by the concerned authority. Date of interview will be informed to the candidate via email or through postal method.
- Indian Institute of Technology, New Delhi
- Indian Institute of Technology, Madras
- Punjab Technical University Giani Zail Singh College of Engineering and Technology, Bathinda, Punjab
- College of Engineering, Wellesley Rd,Shivajinagar,Pune, Maharashtra
- Lakshmi Narain College of Technology, Kalchuri Nagar, Raisen Road, P.O. Kolua , Bhopal, Madhya Pradesh
- Shepherd School of Engineering & Technology (SSET), Allahabad, Uttar Pradesh
- SRM University, 3 Veerasamy Street, West Mambalam, Chennai
- Vellore Institute of Technology, Vellore Campus, Vellore, Tamilnadu
Job Prospects & Salaries:
Civil engineers are in great demand to uphold and repair current facilities and structures and to construct new buildings. There are a lot of career opportunities in this field. Graduates after completion of their course can seek employment in consultancy firms, quality testing labs, road projects and building work. Civil engineering graduates can also opt for research work or open their own independent consultancy services. Professionals in this career can also opt for teaching jobs in universities and colleges.
Skilled professionals in this field are in high demand in developed countries. Civil engineers are engaged in all important building plans carried out by the private construction firms, railways projects, military, engineering services, state or central government and consultancy services. Middle Eastern countries offer job opportunities particularly Dubai where civil engineers can reap the benefit of opportunities owing to the number of construction projects they have.
Some job profiles: –
- Chief Engineer
- Division Head
- Project Manager
- Senior Engineer
- Supervisory Engineer
- Professor and Teachers
- Independent Consultants
- Director of Public Works
Civil engineering is one of the highly rewarding fields. Civil Engineers employed in government departments get their initial income around Rs. 8,000 to Rs. 12,000 while superiors can earn about Rs 20,000. Lecturer/Professors in engineering colleges’ incomes are fixed by UGC. Those civil engineers working in private sector particularly in construction and designing field are getting more than Rs. 30,000 every month. With some experience, they may go up to Rs 50,000 to Rs 60,000 every month. Consultancy in civil engineering is also highly remunerative depending upon number and nature of the clients.